Saturday 29 May 2010

Every Cloud Has a Silver Lining. Even the ones my delayed plane ran through.

Several children patted their teddy bears as they passed through the airport. One tiny girl had a luggage just big enough for her to sit on and have her tired mother pull it along. Her mother didn't mind. You could tell with the excitement in her voice when she said, 'We're going on holiday.' I suppose with her children being exceptionally young, their family could probably manage holidays during term time, taking advantage of cheaper fares.

Me on the other hand, I was returning from a final term of University. In fact, the final moment of University. Strictly speaking I'm still a student until the end of my Graduation ceremony. But it's one thing to think of the sorrow I'm feeling at saying good bye to my times at University.

The airport wouldn't allow me to dwell on sorrow. Instead they'll give me much more frightening things to worry about. Such as the excess baggage charge which has increased doubly since I last was charged. Should I cry? No. We don't want the security staff thinking that I've been crying because I've been saying goodbye to some strange relative who I've finally come to understand.

Overpriced food - the airport was easily cashing in on the those who've skipped breakfast to make it to the only flight available on a Saturday. There's a sceptical streak in me thinking that this is where all the money is made.

So I'm much lighter in my account. Around me the screens in the airport are telling me that my flight has been delayed, I whip out my laptop to listen to music. Battery power goes down. I must resort to reading. But being up since 4.30am ensures that my concentration levels are not there. Imagine how much of an idiot I looked when going to the rear of the plane and the door was closed. Despite being told twice by low cost airline staff that I'm to use the rear entrance.

The cinnamon biscuit was a delight though. The airport is the only place on Earth I've found them. Is that alone worth catching a plane every once in a while?

No comments:

Post a Comment