Saturday 1 May 2010

Thank the Lord of the Devil's Music

After two hours of Robert Downey Jr. making his return as Tony Stark in Iron Man 2, the audience were treated to AC (lightening bolt) DC's trademark song Highway to Hell. Behind me was a boy of around five or seven singing along. The row in front had two boys of similar age bouncing a lot. A smile was on their father's face. I could read his mind.

I've got kids who rock he was thinking.

My heavy metal days are well over. And even when they were in practise it was limited to Marilyn Manson and Ozzy Osbourne. The latter I soon realised that most of his songs sounded the same. Normally to do with looking at reflections on the other side and how mad it's driving the singer. When really all he had to do was live with his family.

I love Ozzy really. Only recently I've found repeats of The Osbournes and now see how funny they were.

Kerrang no longer exists for my family at home since my father aborted many channels. When Sky was installed, channels galore started blooping up. Kerrang was not one of them. Scuzz was. So my only connection with the Heavy Metal world is now low. Around early last year I ended up watching Metallers: A Head Banger's Journey and to be honest, didn't learn much from it. All I can really say is that I now believe Heavy Metal is worth it. I imagine a great number of Heavy Metal artists are influenced by Gothic fiction and poetry. Which worries me that in twenty years time will Meyer's frustrating Twilight series be the subject of hard rock music with lyrics that go against all what metal is about?

I guess I'm just standing up for Heavy Metal every once in a while. My brother's extremely well versed in the genre. With such emotion and, let's face it, catchy tunes, Heavy Metal must exist.

Just getting the vibe of the kids around me getting excited about heading to the Underworld was enough to have this, 'Aww, how cute,' feeling. Where maybe The X Factor garbage spewed out isn't corrupting all our young with its promise of dreams being fulfilled when everyone knows your name for one Christmas.

2 comments:

  1. your entries are always good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Genevieve. You're quite the writer yourself.

    ReplyDelete