Saturday 8 May 2010

The Extraordinary is my Hope

All through Roald Dahl's books I get this overwhelming sense that children aren't to blame. At the same time, regardless if it's the adults who are to blame, the by-product of their children then becomes a problem for the world at large.

There were various clips of the adaptations of Matilda and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory going through my head. The noble of the children I relate with. Charlie is set in a position where not much happens - a poor family equals that he has to stick to his morals to make it through, knowing that they may actually be worth more than money could ever be. Matilda, getting all that time to read makes me envious, thinking; Why didn't I do that? at that age.

On a walk home from the Leicester town area, my head ran with thoughts of when my life actually began. From the moment I turned eighteen years old my life has had a significant pattern. And for me it's a case of trying to realise that the time where I flourish in whatever talents I have, whatever traits are held within me and whatever personality I've built, will come in use for a period that's not my childhood.

Admittedly my childhood wasn't supreme with fun. Looking back it was around 13% fighting with my brother, 28% walking around the house with nothing to do, 30% watching films and the rest dreaming of stories that I could tell...where I'd be the hero at such a young age. Lined throughout all this was a belief in God. I've not stopped believing, but I do notice it was easier to believe in Him then compared to now. Or at least, believe the way He operates.

Telling myself that I'm extraordinary, in whatever sense, is probably a starting point. Actually doing something extraordinary is much more useful. How you define extraordinary I don't know. Whether it be writing a short story where each word counts perfectly, whether it's walking down the street and seeing the world in a positive light, or maybe it's reading as much as you possibly can, treasuring all those stories (which naturally include Dahl's) to set in motion the idea that the extraordinary can happen. And be realised.

How do you get the world to seem extraordinary?

No comments:

Post a Comment