Sunday 14 April 2013

Warning : This post contains Death

Have spent the past few hours feeling muddled.  Perhaps the late afternoon nap was a bad idea.  Now I'll be up until two in the morning.

To take my mind of such, I stuck in my Iron Man 2 Blu-Ray.  Now I have Marilyn Manson's The Golden Age of Grotesque album playing.  The minister in my church once said, in relation to being a Christian, that, '...we are entertaining ourselves to death.'

Strong words.  As if my entire life is floating with television, film, music and books.

However, in my defense it's probably stopping me from becoming a lunatic.

Whilst at church this morning I heard of the death of a lady who I used to know.  Her name was May.  I don't know when the funeral is, so I'm not sure I can attend.  She was really dotting, immaculately dressed and reached her early nineties.  She had such a good will to stick around.

I remember serving her as a teenager in the local newsagent I used to work in.  She would read the Daily Mail, yet mainly for the crossword.  Her consideration for others was wonderful.

Thoughts of death have maybe been plaguing me.  Combined with Margaret Thatcher's recent death and hearing of various other bereavements, it's becoming clear that in my life, I'm moving on.

One day I'll die.  And I'm trying my best to not be frightened by it.

Mum and I had lunch at Muriel's Cafe Bar (Church Lane, Belfast).  I had two beers.  That probably didn't help.  What did help was finding Rocko's Modern Life on DVD in Poundland.  Once I saw the poster I was thrown back to memories where I watched it straight after Batman on Channel 4.  Notably in Portrush with my family whilst on holiday.  I think that was 1994.

I also remember getting a plastic Bart Simpson watch from a gumball machine.

Dish washing, a boring Doctor Who and no reading done, this has been my Sunday.

Have also been trying to hide my phone.  There's only so much of the 'pretty, pretty ones' on Twitter I can take before I feel my life is totally redundant.

I am smarter than this.  But I'm not smart enough to use such wits.

No comments:

Post a Comment